Monday, February 15, 2010


On average, the most common New Year's resolution is to lose weight. Regardless of people's shape and size, everyone says, "I should lose weight" or "I should eat healthier." I am no different. I had two specific New Year's Resolutions for 2010: get out of credit card debt & lose 25 pounds over the course of the year. The prior was a little easier since I worked hard in 2009 to make it happen. The latter is something that since I can remember I struggle with.

I have never been small and constantly battled with my weight. The battle has never been gaining- I maintain quite well. The struggle is with losing. At the height of my struggle I was 193 pounds. Currently, I weigh 161. Last year, I finally weighed in to the high end of my height/body frame ratio. This year, I would like to weigh in at the low end of that same ratio. 

I've been going to the gym faithfully since the beginning of the year. Truth be told, I actually enjoy it. Sometimes, time willing, I'll go twice a day. The classes really mix things up and make the boring aspect of exercise much more enjoyable. I've also been blessed with gym buddies that keep me accountable. I've made this commitment before-many times before. I believe the reason that some decisions/commitments are successful is because the intent is pure. I used to try to lose weight because I thought people would like me more because I was thin or because it would make more attractive. I never did it for myself. I never did it because it would make me healthy. It would make me feel good.

I've let my weight define me for a long time. In some ways it still does - and maybe it always will. But this year it's about keeping to a commitment and fulfilling a goal. 4 pounds down, 21 to go and 9 months to do it in!

Monosyllabic Moment: Health

3 comments:

  1. I am totally impressed with yor drive, you can soooo do it!!!! I am trying to faithfully walk the dogs at least 3 times a week... easire said than done sometimes. I am so tired when I get home but I always feel better when I do it and I know the doggies need it too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever don't want to walk alone! Call me!

    ReplyDelete